Ever wondered what all the fuss is about manuka honey?
A few tips from manuka honey fans...
- A teaspoon straight from the jar will help to soothe sore throats – the higher the MGO the quicker the result
- Apply to wound dressings for minor wounds and scratches
- Apply small amount directly to mouth ulcers or cold sores
- A teaspoon a day for improved digestion
- Ease symptoms of fungal or bacterial infections
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with juice of half a lemon, crushed garlic, ginger in a cup of warm water to fight colds
- Add honey to your favourite herbal tea, or normal black tea instead of sugar
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar & 1 tablespoon of honey to a cup of warm water to help relieve blocked sinuses
- Add a teaspoon of honey to prebiotic yoghurt & granola for a complete gut-happy breakfast!
- Simply delicious - serve honey with banana bread – and a side of ricotta…
- IMPORTANTLY - avoid exposure to high heat to preserve all the natural goodness
With the advent of modern antibiotics, “superbugs” have emerged – pathogens that have developed resistance to some or even all of the modern antibiotics. Manuka honey has been scientifically proven to assist in wound care:
- Stimulates wound healing
- Effective against multi drug-resistant bacteria
- Provides a moist, low-pH healing environment
- Contains proven antibacterial properties
- Lifts debris & dirt from the wound
- Reduces scab formation & scarring
- Prevents bandage from sticking
- Reduces wound irritation
What makes Manuka Honey more expensive than regular honey?
Even the lowest MGO rated Manuka Honey is more expensive than regular natural honey.
1. We have 80 leptospermum species in Australia but only 28 have been scientifically proven “bioactive”.
2. Flower producing nectar only blooms about 3 months of the year as long as conditions like floods or drought do not adversely impact. Bees love the sunshine & will happily collect the nectar when weather is fine - a bit like us humans!
3. We do not know the MGO level of the honey until it has been carefully collected, then tested in independent laboratories. Key chemicals tested are indicators of whether the activity of the honey will continue to improve and strengthen with time, or whether the activity at the time of testing is the maximum it will reach. The highest strength manuka honey of MGO1500+ is extremely rare, hence its high value as medicinal honey.
In a Nutshell
If you have always wondered what all the fuss around manuka honey is, now is the time to try it. If you've read this far into the blog, why not join the tribe that loves Australia's Manuka Honey. Pop any MGO strength jar of Australia's Manuka Honey into your Naturally Northern Rivers Australia cart & checkout with the code: MANUKAVIRGIN for a 5% discounted sweet rewards - enjoy!